This site is the lead feature on the federal government's gateway site for nutrition information. As a follow-up to the previous post, it is worthwhile to quote the healthy skepticism that the FTC and Food and Drug Administration have toward weight-loss claims other than those represented by the Dietary Guidelines. Would these federal agencies approve of licensing high-fat dairy products with weight loss claims?
Sensible Weight Maintenance Tips
Losing weight may not be effortless, but it doesn't have to be complicated. To achieve long-term results, it's best to avoid quick-fix schemes and complex regimens. Focus instead on making modest changes to your life's daily routine. A balanced, healthy diet and sensible, regular exercise are the keys to maintaining your ideal weight. Although nutrition science is constantly evolving, here are some generally-accepted guidelines for losing weight:
- Consult with your doctor, a dietician, or other qualified health professional to determine your ideal healthy body weight.
- Eat smaller portions and choose from a variety of foods.
- Load up on foods naturally high in fiber: Fruits, vegetables, legumes, and whole grains.
- Limit portions of foods high in fat: dairy products like cheese, butter, and whole milk; red meat; cakes and pastries.
- Exercise at least three times a week.