Friday, April 08, 2005

Quizno's nutrition and the USDA-sponsored promotion

I haven't heard anything further from Quizno's, the sandwich chain whose Steakhouse Beef Dip sandwich with pan roasted au jus has been promoted by the USDA-sponsored Beef Board. A few weeks ago, I requested nutrition facts information, in order to get a better sense of what kind of food the federal government is promoting with its "government speech." The Quizno's email to me a few weeks ago said the nutrition information was not available because of recent menu changes.

That's unlikely to be true. Here is the Carbwire weblog from a year ago, so angry about the lack of nutrition information that it posted a link for complaints to Quizno's. Here is a Quizno's PR piece two years ago, bragging about the company's low carb profile: "Quiznos understands that the key to sticking with any diet is balance, variety and taste." Well, that would certainly make it easy if dieting didn't require, say, restraint and selective food choices. And here are some other comments posted on an internet site for runners, complaining about Quizno's for not providing nutrition information. I believe the Quizno's email to me was untrue.

It is one thing for a private company to be so unresponsive to consumers and so shady about its nutrition profile. We could all then simply avoid that restaurant chain (as I certainly will). It's another thing altogether for them to be supported by the Beef Board and USDA. Will somebody please read this thread and call this thing to a halt?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

ya that pisses me off that they won't post nutrition info

No more quiznos for me

Anonymous said...

they have pretty much all info on there AU site...

http://www.quiznos.com.au/menu-nutrition.shtml

Anonymous said...

I have decided that I will simply refuse to eat at Quizno's (or Moe's or....) if they will not provide nutrition information. To the new, slimmer me (!), mystery meals are not worth it.
It's just that simple.

Anonymous said...

I agree, mystery meals are not on my diet either. While deciding where to go eat today I looked up their website and found no nutritional info, so my friends and I won't be going there.
I try to do my research before I leave the house so I know what to order before I go out.
They just lost my business. Probably just as well, I imagine their stuff is HIGH in fat and carbs, even Arby's Market Fresh wraps are way high. All that melted cheese on Quizno's hmmm. No wonder they don't want to post the info, might scare people away.

Anonymous said...

According to their website as of 10/17/07, nutritional facts will be available in Fall 2007. But nothing yet...

Anonymous said...

the nutrition facts are up! it is kind of sketchy how when you select the facts, you have to check a box to include cheese and/or the sauce, but they are there!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.